Thursday, May 27, 2010

Post Festival Depression

Au revoir, Cannes Film Festival.

*SIGH*

 Things I Will Miss About The Cannes Film Festival (in no particular order):
1. Getting to flash my market badge at the guards and not be denied access to anywhere. Unless it was closed. But that doesn't actually count because everyone got denied.
2. Getting to flaunt my market badge to people with paltry cinephile badges.
3. Reading subtitles to an incredible number of foreign films.
4. Being encouraged to watch as many films in a day as possible. I think five was the max number I reached. That does not include short films.
5. Meeting people from all over the world who are all interested in film. Producers, writers, directors, actors and actresses, cameramen, celebrities, critics, interns, students, film enthusiasts... I met some of every kind.
6. Walking past all the yachts docked in the harbor and strolling along the beach before rushing in to catch the next showing of a film.
7. The superior seats in all the theaters in Cannes. There were some with leather upholstery, y'all. Leather. Genuine Leather. The rest of them were fuzzy and comfy and fit your body perfectly. They had little head rests and ample arm rests. That is luxury, my friends.
8. The opening theme of all the competition films at Cannes which always sounded a little like it was from Beauty and the Beast to me.
9. Being in a theater with the people who made the film you are watching and applauding them after it's finished showing.
10. Having the opportunity to watch films from all over the world. The saddest thing is knowing that some of the best films I have ever seen will never reach the United States market. Woo-hoo, Hollywood.
11. Did I already mention the availability of foreign films?
12. Oh yeah, and foreign films.

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely and amazing time you had . . . thank you for letting us in on the details.

    ReplyDelete